[Accessibility] [Privacy

Professional Training in Dance/Movement Therapy

The Alternate Route to the R_DMT Level of Credentialing

What is the alternate route?

The American Dance Therapy Association (ADTA) created the alternate route for the many clinicians and students who want to become registered dance/movement therapists (R_DMTs), but are unable to attend one of the five approved dance/movement therapy programs on a full-time basis. Instead they can complete their dance/movement therapy training at institutes such as Kinections. Kinections offers all the courses required for the alternate route.

Alternate route students can apply for the R_DMT level of credentialing after they complete a masters degree in mental health (e.g., counseling, clinical psychology, social work), 30 credits or 450 hours of graduate level training in dance/movement therapy, and a 700 hour internship in dance/movement therapy. Alternate route students who do not have a masters degree in mental health (e.g., education, dance) must also complete a 200 hour field work practicum.

Who can apply for courses at Kinections?

  1. Student and practicing mental health clinicians
  2. Educators, dancers, and artists from all other disciplines
  3. Undergraduate students and others considering a career in dance/movement therapy
  4. Anyone with at least a B.A. considering a career change
  5. High school students may attend an annual workshop especially designed for dance and theater arts students interested in the various professional options available to them.

Can alternate route students take dance/movement therapy courses at Kinections?

Yes. All of the dance/movement therapy core coursework can be taken at Kinections. Kinections offers a sequential course of study. The next series begins in either January or July, 2006. Alternate route students who wish to pursue the sequential program beginning in January or July may request the application form using our contact form. Alternate Route students who have already taken other dance/movement therapy courses may register for individual courses, however, they must fill out an application and submit a list of all the courses they have already taken. This ensures that students have the pre-requisites required for the course(s) for which they want to register.

What courses are required to become a registered dance/movement therapist (R_DMT)?

The ADTA alternate route requirements include courses in:

Alternate route students who have masters' degrees in areas other than mental health (e.g., dance or education) must also complete a 200 hour practicum.

See the Alternate Route FAQ for more information!